11820 Sarcee Trail NW Calgary, AB T3R 0A1 Canada
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that all children get a check-up with an orthodontist no later than age 7. There are many reasons for this, but here are a few of the most important:
- Orthodontists can spot problems with baby teeth and new teeth that others may not see
- Your child’s bite could have a problem that only an orthodontist can detect and, if caught early, the orthodontist can identify an effective treatment plan to fix the child’s bite before it gets too hard to manage.
- Early treatment gives your orthodontist the chance to guide jaw growth, lower risk of trauma to protruded front teeth, correct harmful oral habits, improve appearance, and guide permanent teeth to a better position.
- A child’s teeth are more easily manipulated at a young age – the more teeth that turn from baby teeth into adult teeth makes it harder for the mouth to conform to what the orthodontist needs it to do. If treatment is started early, the teeth will move much more quickly, resulting in faster treatment.
If you notice any of the following problems with your children, you should notify an orthodontist immediately:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty in chewing or biting
- Mouth breathing
- Jaws that shift or make sounds
- Grinding or clenching the teeth
By taking your child to the orthodontist calgary early, you are essentially giving them the best shot possible at a happy, healthy smile they can carry with them for the rest of their lives.